Some dinners I definitely make because it’s something I really want to eat, then other times I choose something I know my husband will be thrilled about. I like to wave my nice wifey flag every once in a while. Our tastes are a bit different, but usually there’s a good middle ground I try to find. Well, these cream cheese chicken taquitos definitely hit that middle ground! They were a major hit all around the table.
They were seriously the simplest things to make too. The entire filling is prepped in the standing mixer which makes it come together so quick. Did you know that you can shred chicken in a standing mixer? I saw it on some kitchen hack video and had been waiting to try it out. The video was right, so simple! You just place the cooked chicken in the mixer bowl (I had just boiled it to cook it up), turn it on and after less than a minute it’s shredded. Voila! Then adding the remaining ingredients in with the chicken for a quick mix and the filling is ready. So very simple!
This is a great recipe to get your kid involved in. I love having Hunter help whenever he can and since there are no knives involved, just measuring and letting your mixer do the work, it was easy to get him in the kitchen. We then filled the egg roll wrappers together. I put the chicken mixture in the center, let him dip his finger in the water to wet the edge, then we rolled it up together. It was so much fun.
When they’re all ready to go into the oven the egg roll wrappers get a pre-bake butter bath. Makes them bake up extra crispy! Jacob and I devoured these warm at dinner and since there were so many left over (they are quite filling) we ate them cold for a couple of lunches/snacks throughout the week too. They are awesome cold too. Zoe took the wrapper off and nommed on the filling and Hunter ate most of the wrapper around the filling unless it was extra crispy like how it gets around the edges. Everyone loved them and I hope they are a hit in your house too!
Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos
- 4 cups cooked chicken (I used a mixture of 2 chicken breasts and 3 very small chicken thighs)
- 3/4 cup salsa verde
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, place the cooked chicken. With the mixing paddle turn to a medium-low speed and run until the chicken is shredded. Alternatively, you can shred the chicken by hand.
- Add the cream cheese, salsa verde, cumin, garlic granules, sea salt and pepper. Mix until combined, then add the shredded cheese in and mix again to combine. Chill until needed covered in the fridge or use immediately.
- Take an egg roll wrapper and place a 1/3-1/2 cup amount of the filling in the center in a log shape from one edge to the other edge. Dip your finger in a small bowl of water and wipe along one edge of the wrapper. Roll the wrapper up sealing it off with the wet edge. Place edge side down on the prepared sheet.
- Brush the prepared taquitos with melted butter and bake for 15 minutes. Flip the taquitos over, brush any remaining button on top and bake for another 10 minutes, until crispy.
- Serve with your favorite quacamole and enjoy!
Are you a taquito fan? What kind of meals are a hit with everyone in your house?