Peanut butter and chocolate. Is there a better pairing? The answer is no. I hope you love these two together as much as I do, because then you’ll love these peanut butter swirl brownies too!
A sweet treat to finish out the even sweeter weekend we had. Between a Friday night date night at the hearth (our most favorite restaurant), Hunter’s soccer game and 2 separate super fun get togethers with friends, plus a relaxing but productive morning doing some yard work, it’s been a marvelous, just marvelous. And then you add in chocolate and peanut butter. Nothing better my friends.
These brownies come from my Secret Recipe Club pick for this month, Pale Yellow. Tracy, the author, has such an outstanding recipe index to choose from. She has every kind of category you can ask for, especially in sweet treats, which is where I ended up. She does a lot of baking and sharing with friend – lucky friends of hers. Her most recent blog post is actually about her Whole 30 beginnings. The food looks amazing and right up my real food loving alley – go check it out here.
The brownies I picked are a touch healthier than your average brownie, being that they are made with honey as a natural sweetener, and also coconut flour instead of white flour. I love the soft texture coconut flour adds to baked goods. The one modification I made was using coconut oil instead of the butter, but that was only because as I began getting ready to make these, I realized I was actually out of butter and not wanting to run to the grocery store. Oh no! I improvised and used coconut oil and they turned out absolutely wonderful, although I know I’d prefer butter since butter is just delicious. The coconut oil adds a bit more of a coconut flavor as opposed to butteri-ness you’d expect. I definitely would love to try them again with no modification made.
Soft, moist and oh so tasty. I hope these sweeten up your weekend a bit too!. Let me know how you like them!
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies – gluten free
recipe slightly adapted from here
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, not melted when measured (or substitute 1 stick unsalted butter)
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F.
- Add the coconut oil to a pot over low heat on the stove until it is melted.
- While the oil melts, add parchment paper to fit the bottom and over the sides of your 8×8″ pan.
- When the oil is melted, remove the pot from the heat. Add the chopped chocolate, honey and vanilla in with the melted oil. Whisk until smooth. Add the eggs in one at a time and whisk until smooth again.
- Next, stir in the salt, baking soda, coconut flour and cocoa powder. Spread the batter evenly into your pan.
- Place the peanut butter and milk in a the same pot you prepped the batter in. Heat until the peanut butter becomes melted and smooth. Dollop it over the batter and swirl with a knife.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the brownies cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into pieces.
What made your weekend sweet and special? I hope you had a great one!