Hey there, happy end of the week! I am super excited to share my meal simplifying idea I came up!
I believe I was looking around on Pinterest, or maybe it was Facebook… where ever it was I came across this link to a post on Chef in Training for 50 slow cooker recipes. I browsed through them. They looked tasty and crockpots always mean simple. I started to think about which one I wanted to make. But then I thought, why not all?
With 52 weeks in the year and 50 recipes, that gives me just about enough for one a week. That’s one day a week I don’t have to think about what’s going to be on the table. I’ll just go straight down the list, one at a time, no picking or choosing. Keeping it simple. I like simple. Quick and simple have become staples around here with my happy little monster here.
So for week 1 here’s what I made.
- 2.5 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (or thigh)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons diced onion
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil (recipe calls for canola)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water
- Sesame seeds (I forgot this)
- Season both sides of chicken with lightly with salt and pepper, put into crock pot. In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce. Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 6 tablespoons of water and pour into crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce.
- Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces, then return to pot and toss with sauce before serving.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice or noodles.
- I cut the recipe in half since I only had about 1.5 pounds of chicken on hand – cooked on high for 1.5 hours
- Forgot the sesame seeds, so I’m glad I added the sesame oil for the flavor
- Served it over bulgar for me – sushi rice for Jacob, with a side of avocado and coleslaw mixed with a little bit of asian dressing + a dab of mayo
What I liked
- the flavor was amazing
- chicken with tender
- all ingredients I already had on hand
What I didn’t like
- not being able to start the crockpot in the morning with the short cook time – I still had to throw it together after a day of teaching/xmas shopping
- my sauce didn’t thicken up like I would have liked, and I had it on high for double the time it called to thicken up
I shared the link to the 50 slow cooker recipes on my Facebook page and already my cousin Andrea is following along with one a week as well. I think it would be so much fun if more of you followed along too! I’m planning to share a bit about each recipe, so if you end up making it too you can chime in! And if you don’t want to participate, at least you’ll get to see how a ton of crockpot recipes turn out. 🙂
Next week it’s onto slow cooker salsa verde pork.
Do you call your crockpot a slow cooker or crockpot? Do you love your crockpot as much as I do? Want to participate in the 50 crockpot recipes? One of them is eventually a cake…. 🙂