Hope your weekend has been filled with lots of fun and good food. My cooking lately has been limited to breakfast and a little bit of baking. We’ve had so many friends and family members bring us dinner, along with the freezer meals I prepped have left me not having to make dinner… although I’ll start cooking dinners again tomorrow. I have to say, I’ve been loving it. Stress free dinners that let me just focus my time on these kiddos of mine.
When my secret recipe club pick – flavors by four, a mother/daughter blogging combo team – came around, I knew I wanted to make some kind of sweet treat. Because we just love sweets in our house. These blueberry pie bars sounded delish, but I wanted to put a little twist on them. I amped up the almond flavor with almond flour and slivered almonds in the topping. If I had almond extract on hand I would have added that too, but instead I used vanilla extract.
The recipe called for fresh blueberries, and while I used frozen, I would highly suggest fresh like the original recipe called for. My bars came out a little soggy at first. I refrigerated them and ate them chilled which I loved quite a bit. Also, a piece on top of some yogurt… yummm.
It’s a pretty simple and fun recipe to make with you toddler too. Bonus – the crust/topping doesn’t have eggs in it so sampling as you go along is highly encouraged. 🙂 I reduced the sugar down a bit and would do that again. I thought it was sweet enough. Next time I make it (which I totally plan to!) I’ll be sure to use fresh berries.
Almond Blueberry Pie Bars
Adapted from here
Ingredients for crust/topping
- 1 cup almond flour (I ground blanched almonds into a flour… you can also sub in another type of flour)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup natural cane sugar
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter chilled
- 1/4 cup blanched or slivered almonds
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup natural cane sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 3/8 cup almond flour (can sub other flour)
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 20 oz fresh blueberries (I used frozen but recommend fresh)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 inch pan with oil spray and set aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor or Kitchen Aid mixer. Cut the butter into 1/2″ pieces and add to flour mixture. Add vanilla extract. Mix until the butter is evenly distributed but the mixture is still crumbly.
- Reserve 1-1/2 cups of the mixture for the topping. Set aside. Press remaining mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl, then add sugar, yogurt/sour cream, flour and almond extract. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the filling over the crust.
- Sprinkle the reserved topping mixture, along with the blanched or slivered almonds, evenly over the filling.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until top turns golden brown. Cool 1 hour before cutting and serving.
What is your favorite berry to bake with? Blackberry or marionberry for me. 🙂