My original plan was for June to be all about healthy on $75. And now June is gone so it’s going to continue on through July! I still have so much to share, and it turns out I’m a little slow at pumping out the posts on it. Here’s the third installment of my grocery haul breakdown. Enjoy!
Like I mentioned in week 2′s breakdown, this week was also a bit off since we were on vacation for part of it. As I begin to write this I haven’t added up the total I spent yet so it’ll be a surprise for me too.
What we ate
Friday: BBQ’d steak and bratwurst, avocado, tomato and mozzarella salad and watermelon (vacation meal I didn’t cook)
Saturday: burritos + corn on the cob (vacation meal I didn’t cook)
Sunday: sushi from the grocery store (which was ehh but after 7 hours of driving I was not down with cooking) + peas from the garden
Monday: brautwurst and potato salad (dinner at my parents + world cup watching!)
Tuesday: fried rice with fresh peas and kale chips
Wednesday: burritos and brownies (dinner at my parents + world cup watching!)
Thursday: whole wheat pasta with feta and sauted zucchini in a light yogurt sauce + teriyaki chicken
Lunches: on vacation deli sandwiches provided by my parents – back home tuna sandwiches and leftovers.
Grocery haul breakdown
In addition to the visual of what I purchased, I’ve included a picture of the receipt (when available) to show prices. There is also an explanation of what I picked up on sale and used a coupon with and any other notes.
- 2 different pre-made sushi packs
Now normally I don’t include meals out or take out in our food budget, because it’s a rarity, but this is getting included because after a long drive instead of cooking, we picked up food. Yes, I could have made something, but I went with the easy route. It tasted okay… but I totally could have made something better.
Safeway total: $12
- gallon of organic whole milk
- 2 packages of chicken breasts (on sale)
- ground beef (discounted)
- dozen eggs
- bananas (on sale)
- ripe bananas (discounted)
- 2 lb bag of avocados (on sale)
- zucchini (on sale)
- nectarines (on sale)
- apricots (on sale)
I picked up one extra package of chicken breasts, which went right into the freezer. The produce was all on sale saving me money on items I really want!
Chuck’s Produce total: $37.42
- 2 package sof starbucks coffee (sale and coupons)
- 2 deodorants (sale and coupons)
- toothpaste (sale and coupons + register rewards earned)
Walgreens total: $14.67
- toilet paper (paper and mobile coupon)
- frozen peas (mobile coupon)
Target total: $4.68
- 3 cases of yuuuuuumy microbrews (42 bottles total, 18 x 22 ounces and 24 x 12 ounces)
I wish I could say everyone could get this deal, but it’s special from my husbands work. He worked in the beverage industry and they have a room called the dent room where you can piece together cases (or get full cases) of beer. A case of microbrew is just 9 dollars… it just cannot be beat.
Dent room total: $21
Grand total for 5 places: $89.77
Thankful it’s lower than the previous week! It goes to show that making food at home saves money… had we not picked up sushi, I would have been right near my target of $75.
How I saved money this week:
- I looked through the chuck’s produce ad before going shopping to make my list based off of what was on sale. Almost everything I purchased there was at a lower price than regular.
- I decided on a walgreens and target run to stock up on some items that we always need – mainly the coffee and toilet paper. The deodorant deal was too good to pass up (just 50 cents each after the register rewards!).
- In the long run the extra beer will save us money. All three cases will last a while and since it’s summer time and we’re entertaining more, the extra cost of buying beer each week won’t be needed.
How was your grocery shopping this week?