I really couldn’t think of what to call this recipe. It’s awkwardly named, but it describes the dish well. Broccoli mashed with cream cheese and combined with pasta. Plus more cheese on top! There was a request for the recipe after I posted a picture on Instragram and facebook, so here it comes!
We’ve been quite blessed with a good eater. At 2 years old there are only a short list of foods Hunter doesn’t like. Some days he decides he doesn’t care for something, but I think that’s a pretty normal toddler thing to do. I’ve relaxed up quite a bit at meal time and do my very best not to nag him to eat certain foods, or to finish everything. He eats what he’ll eat and it isn’t a battle. Meal time is a happy time.
He used to looove broccoli. Now, he pretty much passes it up. I love broccoli and while I still cook it and offer it, I wanted to come up with a new way to present it to entice him to try it. He loves pasta. He loves cream cheese. Why not put it together with that fabulous cruciferous veggie?
The mashed broccoli sticks to the pasta so even though he didn’t eat the big chunks, it still snuck into his belly since it was kind of pasted to the pasta. Yes, he skipped most of his big chunks, but hey, the boy kept asking for more and more and ate a ton of the pasta. Which mean he ate broccoli too. Win.
We paired the pasta with rice krispie chicken strips. They were perfection! I followed the recipe to a T and highly recommend t it. I know we’ll be having it again, especially since it was super simple and loved by all. In fact, the whole meal together will make it onto my meal plan again. It was a winner for sure.
Cheesy Broccoli Mash Pasta
- 2 broccoli crowns, chopped to separate the stems
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta, uncooked
- 1/3 cup cream cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- optional: freshly grated parmesan to top
- Begin by cooking your pasta according to the package directions. Once it is finished, drain and set aside in a bowl. Toss the butter in with the pasta.
- Steam the broccoli until fork tender. Add to a bowl with the cream cheese and mash until the majority of the larger pieces are broken.
- Toss the broccoli mash with the pasta. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Top with parmesan.
Does your kid like broccoli? What are their favorite veggies and ways to eat them?