chicken kebab salad
Our days of sunshine are over.
Now it’s back to rain. Boo Washington, boo!
The warmer (and dryer) weather had definitely had me craving more summer-esque foods. Smoothies have been in full force. Stews are out and salads are so in!
I had some chicken thawing for a dinner this week and didn’t really know what I was planning to do with it. My mom gave me some ham leftover some Easter, so chicken cordon bleu was a thought… but that just seemed too warm.
Instead I soaked my chicken in a yogurt sauce over night, threaded them onto skewers and grilled (inside) like it really was summer.
It could not have been easier! While the chicken was cooking I cut up all the veggies for the salad. I thought about making a greek dressing too, but then my laziness kicked in and I just opened up a bottle of Caesar dressing. Cause I like Caesar dressing.
Tons of feta, perfectly ripe avocado and juicy (wanna be summer) tomatoes. Add in some cucumber and olives and you really would have a Greek salad!
- 2 small chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt and pepper
- 4 cups greens (I used a combo of romaine and spinach)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 ounces feta, crumbled
- The night before combine the chicken in a plastic bag with the yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, paprika, sea salt and pepper. Allow to marinade overnight, or at least 1 hour.
- Pre-heat grill (indoor or outdoor) to medium-high heat. Coat lightly with oil. Thread the chicken onto 4 skewers. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until the inside is no longer pink.
- While the chicken cooks, chop up all your veggies and separate onto 2 plates: greens, avocado, tomato, green onion and feta.
- Once the chicken is done place on top of your salad and top with your favorite dressing.
Be sure to serve with some fresh fruit. Strawberries have been a favorite of ours lately!
When the weather warms up, do you crave different foods?
This week sure is flying by. I’m looking forward to another weekend. Our sunshine is supposed to return!