Now that’s a big zucchini!
For the past couple weeks I’ve received so many zucchinis in my CSA, including that honker up there. It was so big, I knew it wouldn’t be for eating. Once zucchinis get pretty large they get kind of seedy and not as tasty for eating on their own. But if you bake it into something, it doesn’t matter how big or small the zucchini is.
I grated the zucchini using my food processor. It took just a couple minutes. So much faster than grating by hand.
I made 2 loaves of zucchini bread, 2 dozen mini zucchini cheese muffins, zucchini brownies and zucchini pasta salad with just this one (HUGE) zucchini. All in one weekend too.
I found the recipe for zucchini bread on The Bad Girl’s Kitchen… who just so happened to be my assigned blog for this month’s Secret Recipe Club! Min’s site is kind of unique. She has readers submit recipes as well that you can find on there. A fun place for friends to gather and share recipes.
In typical Heather style I changed the recipe to suit my needs. For a coconut hint I subbed in coconut oil for the canola and applesauce, threw in some shredded coconut, subbed in whole wheat flour for the white and reduced the sugar.
I’m happy to say it turned out super tasty! Jacob thought it was too vegetable-y, but he’s crazy. I brought a loaf to our friend’s house on Saturday and it got good reviews, especially from kiddos. I made sure to have them tell Jacob how much they liked it, and that he was crazy.
Chocolate Chip Coconut Zucchini Bread
Adapted from this recipe
Makes 2 loaves
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated zucchini (original recipe called for 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut **
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (or chunks)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease (2) 9×5-inch loaf pans.
- Stir together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon & nutmeg
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until light and fluffy. Add sugar and honey and continue beating until well blended. Stir in coconut oil, vanilla, zucchini, coconut and chocolate chips. Make sure everything is well mixed. Stir in sifted dry ingredients until just combined. (Don’t overmix — just mix until all the dry ingredients are moistened and no large lumps remain, some small lumps are okay). Pour into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in pans.
** I used a combo of both small shredded coconut and large flaked coconut. I definitely prefer the small shredded kind in here. You get the taste without a large piece of coconut.
If you like zucchini in your sweets (and why wouldn’t you?!), then you should totally try Maria’s chocolate chip zucchini brownies. They were amazing too!
It’s totally zucchini season right now. What have you made?
Off to run this morning with the jogging stroller and some friends! I’m excited to try out a new running app too. If I love it I’ll be sure to share.