chocolate orange banana bread
Thanks for your sweet comments on my last post. Sometimes my mama heart likes to shine
Today is about FOOD. It’s been quite hot here lately and I find my bananas turning brown more quickly than normal. And more quickly than I like. Does anyone else notice that happening with heat? Most of the time I’ll toss them into the freezer for later use, but this week I made some banana bread. It’s flavored with cocoa and orange, which instantly brings me back to the hearth (or favorite restaurant). They have a warm chocolate orange cake that is sinfully delicious. The banana bread is healthed up a bit and the sweetness is taken down a notch. We’ve been enjoying it as a dessert after dinner, and an afternoon pick me up.
The recipe came from this month’s Secret Recipe Club blog An Affair from the Heart. The author, Michaela write a beautiful blog and shares so many tasty looking recipes. She’s a busy stay at home mom to four. One of my favorite things I read in her about me page is that her family sits down together for dinner, no electronics allowed. That’s been a new rule of mine I’ve been enforcing (on myself too) lately. The family dinner is so important!
Anyways, I found her chocolate orange banana bread recipe. To make it a little less dessert like (but still treat like!) I skipped out on the chocolate chips, cut the sugar down and used whole wheat flour. The bread came out perfectly after baking for an hour. Hunter and I cannot get enough of it. Hope you enjoy it too!
Chocolate Orange Banana Bread
adapted from here
- 1/3 cup natural cane sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, prepare large loaf pan with oil spray.
- Combine sugar, honey and oil in your mixer (or by hand with a whisk), add in eggs, bananas and orange zest, mix.
- Sift together all of your dry ingredients.
- Alternate dry ingredients and orange juice into sugar/banana mixture.
- Mix well, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Pour into pan and bake for 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
How do you like to use your brown bananas?