crockpot pork carnitas
The ultimate pork carnitas recipe, and it only takes 6 ingredients! Hurry to the store and grab your ingredients, because you too, will quickly become obsessed!
I cannot count the number of times I’ve made this recipe. I’ve also share the recipes scribble on paper with many friends after making this for them. It’s my go to pork carnitas recipes, because it’s 1) insanely simple to make, and 2) the result is mouth watering meat with a flavor that you just can’t get enough of. I’ve even served it as the main dish for a birthday party for about 30 people!
I trust the result, each and every time. The meat is so tender, juicy and leaves you wondering what that special thing is that you’re tasting (hint hint, it’s cinnamon!)
Here are your 6 EASY ingredients: pork roast, onion, sea salt, pepper, chili powder and cinnamon. I start the pork carnitas in the morning, which takes about 10 minutes, then at the end of the day the meat is ready and waiting for you! My favorite way to serve these is over a potato base, like the crispy potato bites I just shared. But if you’re serving a crowd and want simplicity, waffle fries and sweet potato fries are a good go to option.
In addition to a potato-y base, the flavorful toppings are a must. Here are some favorites: guacamole or avocado slices, pico de gallo, salsas, cholola, green onion, cilantro, diced tomatoes, slaw (like this one), shredded sharp cheddar… any of your go to taco toppings!
Crockpot Pork Carnitas
Our family of 5 will devour this recipe in one meal, so it’s rare that I do not double this recipe. It’s just that good! Can easily be tripled or quadrupled if your crockpot has the space. I use this 6-quart crockpot.
- 2 lb pork butt or shoulder roast (boneless)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- sea salt
- Prep your pork by cutting it into 4-6 equal pieces, slightly smaller in size than a baseball. Heat a large heavy bottom pan to medium-high heat. Sprinkle sea salt and pepper on all sides of the pork pieces, and place in the hot pot to sear. Sear for 3-4 minutes on one side, then flip and sear on the other. Place in crockpot when both sides are seared. If not all fit easily in your pan, you can do this step in batches.
- When the pork is done, add the onion to the hot pot and saute for 1-2 minutes, just to get some color on the onions. Add the onions into the crockpot.
- Add 1/2 cup of water, along with the chili powder and cinnamon.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. The pork carnitas will easily shred and are ready to eat! Serve it up with crispy potato bites and all your favorite taco toppings.
Fact: This recipe is a dinner game changer.
Fact: When I started making it we were eating it at least once a week.
Fact: I had to cut myself off for a couple of months because I thought my family would get sick of them.
Now I’m in a good place, ya know… we eat it every 2 weeks. 😉
Have you gone through a stage of cooking the same amazing food too much and then your family got sick of it? Share what it was! I’d love to obsess over another meal.