Gosh it’s been so gorgeous here! I just can’t get enough of it. We’ve been spending so much time in our backyard lately. Jacob spent a good couple months working on the grass, creating a rock pathway, fixing up the shed (painting + adding a door and window) and just making it a nice place to be. We’ve been cooking on the BBQ a ton and enjoying dinners outside. I feel like this weather is warmer than the norm here in Washington, but I’ll take it!
Every month I participate along with the secret recipe club. I’m assigned a secret blog to snoop through and make one + share of the recipes from the assigned site. This month I received Famished Fish, Finicky Shark. A blog by Saundra, a mama of three. Saundra has a great story behind her blog on her about me page. She makes a big focus of her meals for her son who has autism… which feed the whole family too. She’s seen a big improvement since making changes to his diet. I love how food can be (and should be!) used as medicine. Take a peek over at her site to read more about her.
So the recipe I chose was Greek lemon chicken nachos with chickpeas, but instead of nachos I turned it into rice bowls. We dined on this meal in the oasis Jacob’s created. It was the perfect meal. Everyone loved it! I made a couple modification which are shown below in the recipe… different beans, a slight change to the salsa and a rice mixture instead of nachos. Like I said, we all loved it. It was even a major hit with Hunter too. Always a win.
The fresh tomato, avocado, bell pepper, cucumber and cheese salad was the perfect addition to the warm meal. I’ve actually made it again and loved it even more the second time around.
I should also note, the original recipe was much more greek-like than this. It included olives + feta, which you can add in as well. I’m just sharing the variation I made.
Greek Lemon Chicken and Bean Rice Bowls
Recipe adapted from here
- 2 cups uncooked rice (I used half brown and half white)
- 1 1/4 lb chicken thigh (or breast), chopped for stir fry
- 15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- dash garlic granules
- dash sea salt
- dash black pepper
- Cook your rice according to package directions. Or, if you’re using a combo of brown and white rice, you can add the rice plus 4.25 cups of water to a rice cooker to cook. I find the brown rice and white rice finish evenly together in the rice cooker.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Toss the chicken with the olive oil and lemon and add to the skillet. Season with oregano, garlic granules and black pepper. Cook until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Toss in the pinto beans to season and heat through.
- Meanwhile, chop the cucumber, bell pepper, tomato and avocado and place in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice and season with garlic granules, salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese.
- To eat, place rice on your plate, top with the chicken mixture and load up on the veggie mix. Enjoy!
Do you ever get in a rut figuring out what to do with chicken? I hope you can add this one to your rotation, it’s quite wonderful!