Salad roll shrimp bowls with coconut rice and peanut dressing give you all the amazing flavors of salad rolls, but are so much easier to prepare and eat in bowl form. Go ahead, hop on the salad roll bowl train today!
Do you have a favorite meal? I often say that eggs are my favorite-thing-ever, (and I do love all things eggs!), but if I see salad rolls on any type of menu, I am getting them!
Not sure what salad rolls are? They’re typically found at Thai or Vietnamese restaurants and are fresh vegetables, rice noodles, fresh herbs, meat, shrimp or tofu all wrapped in a rice paper wrapper served with peanut sauce.
PEANUT SAUCE IS LIFE.
Maybe I’m just obsessed with peanut sauce? Okay, yes I am. For this bowl I thinned out the traditional peanut sauce and made it into a delicious peanut dressing!
I’ve made tons of homemade salad rolls in my life and still do. I just loved the flavors so much. However, wrapping the salad rolls can take a little practice, and admittedly, I do find my kids have a harder time eating them. The filling easily falls out with their little hands and then they just end up eating it with
a fork their hands (let’s be real).
One day (when the hubby was out of town #notashrimpfan) I turned the table and made my favorite flavors of salad rolls but deconstructed them into salad roll shrimp bowls! I have a thing for coconut rice too and it was just the perfect sweeter base to start with.
In the bowl you get the fresh crunchy veggies, fresh herbs, yummy protein packed shrimp, comforting coconut rice and peanut dressing (peanut sauce is LIFE!). You guys, this was one of my best decisions yet. My salad rolls dreams have been simplified, and, as a nice mom, I made it easier for my kids to eat too!
Pro tip: kids love the mini shrimps to eat!
If you’re new to the salad roll train, get on it! Make some salad roll shrimp bowls with coconut rice and peanut sauce today!
Salad roll shrimp bowls with coconut rice and peanut dressing
Serves 4 (or 6 smaller servings)
Ingredients for coconut rice
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp sea salt
Ingredients for peanut dressing
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (I love this brand)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- ¼ tsp garlic granules
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 cup water
Ingredients for salad roll bowls
- 1 lb salad shrimp (defrosted and drained if frozen)
- 2 cucumbers thinly sliced
- 4 carrots grated
- 2 avocado, diced
- 1 cup red leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, minced
- 1/4 cup basil, minced
- Start your coconut rice first. In a rice cooker (I have this rice cooker and love it!) [or follow the stove top directions], add the rice, coconut milk, water and sea salt. Stir to combine and turn on to cook your rice.
- Make the peanut sauce by combining all peanut sauce ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Prepare the remaining ingredients for the salad roll bowls.
- To assemble, add coconut rice to your bowl, top with shrimp, cucumber, carrots, avocado, lettuce, mint, basil, then add peanut dressing!
Pin the image below to save for later!
Are you a salad roll fan? Obsessed with peanut sauce like me? Check out these 3 peanut sauce recipes to satisfy that peanut sauce cravings!
Have you made salad rolls from scratch below? Are you as big of a peanut sauce fan as I am? What is your favorite food item you always have to get when you see it on the menu?