Hello! Happy Thanksgiving Eve! How’s your Thanksgiving looking this year? We’ll be attending 2 Thanksgiving dinners (one Thursday and one Friday). I have my contributions all planned out and everything purchased so no last minute grocery store trips should be required. Some of this afternoon will be prepping foods, but I’ll mostly do the actual cooking on the day of.
I’ll also be prepping this quiche for dinner this afternoon, just to make dinner simple tonight. Plus some roasted brussel sprouts and acorn squash. At least once a week we have breakfast for dinner. Usually it’s on Thursdays when I’m just tired from teaching and don’t really want to cook, but most of the time I just crave something comforting, and breakfast is my comfort food. If I have some extra time and think about it, I love making a quiche for my BFD choice. Other favorites include pancakes, french toast and omelets. 🙂
I have another quiche recipe (sausage and french sorrel quiche with oatmeal crust), but the crust recipe is a bit more fuss than I normally want to go through. It’s delicious, but sometimes I’m just lazy and don’t want to pull out my food processor. For this one I’ve gone with a much simpler 4 ingredient crust. If you are cooking for someone who doesn’t like whole wheat flour (like my husband), make sure you use white whole wheat flour. It looks much lighter in color and has a smoother taste to it than standard whole wheat flour. I actually prefer it too but sometimes it can be harder for me to find at certain stores.
Sausage and Broccoli Quiche with a Whole Wheat Crust
Crust recipe from 100 days of real food
Ingredients for crust
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 tbsp milk
Ingredients for filling
- 1/2 cup milk (I used whole milk)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt and pepper
- 2 fully cooked chicken sausages. diced
- 1/2 cup cooked broccoli, diced
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Have a 9 inch pie pan out and ready for use.
- Combine all crust ingredients into a bowl. Use a fork to mix until combined. Use your hands to finish the mixing and then form a ball in the pan. Press it into the pan and bring it up on the sides, and then pinch the top (with your finger or a fork).
- In a separate bowl whisk the milk, eggs, sea salt and pepper together. Layer onto the uncooked crust sausage, broccoli, green onion and half the cheddar cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the top, then top with the remaining cheddar and all the parmesan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the filling is set.
- Serve warm, at room temperate or chilled – the beauty of a quiche!
The winner of the Aurorae yoga mat giveaway is the very first commenter, ErikaMC!
What are you cooking for Thanksgiving? Do you love breakfast for dinner? What’s your go to BFD meal?
PS happy 9 months to my baby girl Zoe today! I have a few family posts lined up the next couple weeks (Zoe’s 9 month, my 9 month post baby and Hunter’s 2.5 year post).