sausage, kale and potato breakfast casserole
This sausage, kale and potato breakfast casserole combines all the breakfasty goodness in to one, healthy and filling dish. Great for serving a crowd!
Whether I’m cooking for my family, or serving to a crowd, a breakfast casserole is always a go-to for any brunch type gathering. I just love the simplicity of each component being already mixed in together, and then all I have to do is bake it up! No busy cooking when I want to be chatting it up. Kind of the best, right?
This sausage, kale and potato breakfast casserole is filled with just that – breakfast sausage, sauted kale and blanched potatoes and of course, eggs! You can follow this recipe to a T, or mix things up however you please to make a different breakfast casserole each and every time!
Mix up your breakfast casserole
- Don’t have breakfast sausage around? Sub in any other leftover meat here (ham and smoked salmon are delicious options).
- Not a fan of kale? Okay, we can’t be friends… kidding! We can. But here you could sub in any dark leafy green, or even steamed broccoli or roasted asparagus. Yum!
- Want to mix up your potato game? Use roasted sweet potatoes, red potatoes or roasted butternut squash here.
The mixes and possibilities are endless, but the egg base just stays the same. Don’t you love that?
Over the weekend I made 2 breakfast casseroles – one was my chili-egg puff we all just loooooooove, and the other was a variation of this casserole! The two swaps I made included subbing ham and bacon in for the sausage, along with a bit of cheese since I didn’t have nutritional yeast on hand. It was a hit!
I would love to hear if you give this sausage, kale and potato breakfast casserole a try as is, or if you mix it up and make it your own! Tag me on instagram @fitmamarealfood so I see your pics!
Sausage, Kale and Potato Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb ground pork breakfast sausage
- 6 medium yukon gold potatoes, diced into bite size pieces
- 1 head kale, finely chopped
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk of choice (I typically use unsweetened plain almond milk here)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Set aside a 9″x13″ casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Once at a boil add the diced potatoes and boil for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, drain fully and set aside.
- While the potato cook, heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Cook breakfast sausage, crumbling the pork as it cooked. Once the meat is no longer pink, drain the fat and set aside. Add the avocado oil to the pan and saute the kale for 5 minutes, or until soft. Season with 1/4 tsp sea salt and pepper. Set aside with the sausage.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, milk, nutritional yeast, 1/4 tsp sea salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- When all the components are ready, add the potatoes, sausage and kale to the casserole dish. Pour the egg mixture over and stir to combine, making sure egg gets all mixed throughout the pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, testing after 30 minutes to check for doneness. The eggs will be set when the casserole is finished.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with fruit either warm, at room temperature or chilled from the fridge!
Would you stick with the yukon gold potato, breakfast sausage and kale trio, or find your own mix? Do you have a go-to breakfast/brunch recipe you serve up for a crowd?