Hey hey! Hope all is going great in your world. We’ve had a nice at home weekend. We got outside when we could bare the heat, hung out with friends, celebrated a wedding and I got some canning done as well (dilly beans and pickled carrots). Pretty great!
And now it’s secret recipe club time again! When I was assigned my secret blog Searching for Spice I went on the hunt for a protein filled snack. Corina’s recipe index is spectacular and extensive so I had a lot of options to choose from. You see, when the afternoons come around I definitely feel my energy level plummeting and hunger picking up. Normally I reach for something bready or sweet for instant energy, but I find if I eat something more savory I’m more likely to pair it with some veggies. Like the mounds of tomatoes we’ve been harvesting. Daily.
These chickpea balls, paired with some plain yogurt for dipping are the perfect pick me up. They’re not super spicy (although you could make them spicier by using chillies), which is good for me since I can’t handle much heat. If I had added extra spice in the cooling yogurt would help calm the heat down perfectly.
You could easily make these into patties to stuff inside some pita too. Or as a veggie burger.
Both my husband and toddler were not too excited about them, but hey, that means more for me! I especially liked them chilled out of the fridge.
Spicy Chickpea Balls
Slightly adapted from here
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 green onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 egg
- scant 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp curry powder
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- Put all the ingredients (except the oil) in a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Roll into balls (about 1-2 tbsp each).
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the balls for about 2-3 minutes per side. I turned each ball about two times. You want them to look golden and slightly crispy around.
How was your weekend? What’s been your go to snack lately?