Thanks for your sweet comments on my last post. Sometimes my mama heart likes to shine
Today is about FOOD. It’s been quite hot here lately and I find my bananas turning brown more quickly than normal. And more quickly than I like. Does anyone else notice that happening with heat? Most of the time I’ll toss them into the freezer for later use, but this week I made some banana bread. It’s flavored with cocoa and orange, which instantly brings me back to the hearth (or favorite restaurant). They have a warm chocolate orange cake that is sinfully delicious. The banana bread is healthed up a bit and the sweetness is taken down a notch. We’ve been enjoying it as a dessert after dinner, and an afternoon pick me up.
The recipe came from this month’s Secret Recipe Club blog An Affair from the Heart. The author, Michaela write a beautiful blog and shares so many tasty looking recipes. She’s a busy stay at home mom to four. One of my favorite things I read in her about me page is that her family sits down together for dinner, no electronics allowed. That’s been a new rule of mine I’ve been enforcing (on myself too) lately. The family dinner is so important!
Anyways, I found her chocolate orange banana bread recipe. To make it a little less dessert like (but still treat like!) I skipped out on the chocolate chips, cut the sugar down and used whole wheat flour. The bread came out perfectly after baking for an hour. Hunter and I cannot get enough of it. Hope you enjoy it too!
Chocolate Orange Banana Bread
adapted from here
- 1/3 cup natural cane sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, prepare large loaf pan with oil spray.
- Combine sugar, honey and oil in your mixer (or by hand with a whisk), add in eggs, bananas and orange zest, mix.
- Sift together all of your dry ingredients.
- Alternate dry ingredients and orange juice into sugar/banana mixture.
- Mix well, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Pour into pan and bake for 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
How do you like to use your brown bananas?