Carrot cake donuts with honey sweetened cream cheese frosting are baked in the oven to healthy donut perfection! The honey sweetened cream cheese frosting is a match made in carrot cake heaven. Gluten free and delicious!
They’ve got a nice ring to them huh? Last week we were supposed to bring a beta-carotene food to our Bradley Method class, and carrots do count as those… so carrot cake it was! Plus it just so happened to be my birthday that day too so cake was just necessary.
It’s funny how light the tops are in the first photo, then the more smooth bottoms get a nice color on them. You can choose whichever side to have as your top, but I usually like the side that was in the pan since they’re more uniform.
After a few swaps from my blackberry lemon cake donuts, I was off and running. Finely grate some carrot, blend up some coconut and add in tons of cinnamon. Just a few changes to the recipe that gave these muffins a very distinct carrot cake flavor.
I’ve seen people add crushed pineapple to their carrot cake recipes before, and while I didn’t do that, I did have some left over pineapple juice from a can I opened the day before, so that got thrown in too.
I’ve decided that cream cheese frosting is really the only frosting I like. And with carrot cake, it’s a must right? No traditional powdered sugar in here though. The cream cheese is slightly sweetened with just honey and a touch of vanilla. Since there’s coconut in the donuts, why not put it on top too?
Shredded coconut definitely reminds me of snow flakes on top. So pretty!
Hope these donuts brighten up your Monday morning just a bit.
Carrot Cake Donuts with Honey Sweetened Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup oat flour [ground in a blender from oat groats or steel cut oats]
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 3 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut ground in a blender
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup natural cane sugar
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract divided
- ½ cup finely grated carrot slightly packed
- ¼ cup cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tbsp honey
- Optional: unsweetened coconut to top
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees + grease your donut pan.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the oat flour, brown rice flour, ground coconut, sugar, cinnamon, salt + baking powder.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, juice, 1 tsp vanilla extract, oil + applesauce.
- Stir wet into dry, until combined. Do not over stir. It will look slightly lumpy.
- Fold in the shredded carrot.
- With a spoon, spatula, or piping bag, transfer the batter to your greased pan leaving a little room at the top.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes.
- Test with a toothpick for doneness. You want a slightly moist toothpick. Not gooey but not bone dry. The tops of the donut should be lightly browned and it will spring back when you press it lightly.
- Let them cool in the pan for 5min then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Whisk together the cream cheese, honey and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Spread onto the warm donuts. Top with coconut.
- Store in the fridge covered once cooled.