Add more goodness to your muffins with these chocolate protein muffins with spirulina. These wanna-be green muffins have double chocolate, are gluten-free, and are protein-packed. An easy way to add 8 grams of protein into your diet that tastes like dessert! Hello post-workout muffins, I see you!
Thank you to Perfect Supplements for sponsoring this recipe. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
My first cookbook, Everday Muffin Party, is out! If you want to enjoy more healthy, refined sugar-free muffins, check it out HERE!
Add more goodness into your chocolate protein muffins
I’ve often heard that muffins are just glorified cupcakes. And while I totally agree in a lot of cases, not in my muffins!
I am all about making muffins as nourishing and good for you as possible.
We lower the sugar, naturally sweetened, and opt for better flour choices.
If I can add something green in, I am game!
What is spirulina?
The green comes from spirulina powder.
Now, you can’t really see it because we add cocoa powder, but if that wasn’t added in, these muffins would have a beautiful blue/green hue.
Spirulina is an algae.
Why include it in your diet?
It has a high concentration of beta-carotene, an antioxidant that may help strengthen the immune system. So why not?
I’ll add a scoop or two into my banana egg oatmeal pancakes and serve my kids tasty green pancakes.
Another way we added more goodness into these muffins was with Perfect Plant Protein Powder.
Hemp seed, pumpkin seed, and sacha inchi make up the protein powder.
I love using ingredients from nature in my home, and I love that this are the best protein powders and because they are made with just 3 ingredients!
Such an easy addition to muffins.
Double the chocolate
We made these muffins extra decadent by adding mini chocolate chips.
If you want to keep them less sweet and even more wholesome, omit the chocolate chips.
But in my opinion, they are super delish baked in!
Ingredients needed in chocolate protein muffins
- ripe banana
- coconut oil
- maple syrup
- almond flour
- cocoa powder
- perfect plant protein powder
- spirulina powder
- baking powder
- baking soda
- sea salt
- mini chocolate chips
How to make chocolate protein muffins with spirulina
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 12 hole muffin tin with paper liners or silicone liners.
- In a bowl mash the bananas. Add the eggs, coconut oil, and maple syrup. Whisk together.
- Next, add the almond flour, cocoa powder, protein powder, spirulina powder, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Mix until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour into muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. The muffins are done when you insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean, or with a dry crumb on it. If you poke into a chocolate chip, just try another spot. Allow cooling fully before eating.
Best way to store muffins
I love storing my muffins in the fridge. These muffins taste especially delicious after a good chill in the fridge.
The chocolate chips harden and give a nice bite and contrast to the soft muffin.
They will keep for up to 1 week in the fridge.
They can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Like muffins? You’ll love these too:
Chocolate Protein Muffin with Spirulina
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 12 hole muffin tin with paper liners, or silicone liners.
- In a bowl mash the bananas. Add the eggs, coconut oil and maple syrup. Whisk together.
- Next, add the almond flour, cocoa powder, protein powder, spirulina powder, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt. Mix until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour into muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. The muffins are done with you insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean, or with a dry crumb on it. If you poke into a chocolate chip, just try another spot. Allow to cool fully before eating.
Again, a big thanks to Perfect Supplements for sponsoring this recipe! They’ve been fabulous to work with, and their products made for delicious muffins!
If you try this chocolate protein muffin recipe, I’d love for you to leave a rating and comment below! Please let me know how they turn out for you!