Pomegranate and almond
butter deep dark
These brownies do not fall into the fueling category like my no-bake cookies and molasses cookies. They are however filled with whole grain flour and healthy fats! I always find that chocolate hides whole wheat flour in recipes so well. You really can’t tell that it’s made with this healthier flour. At least I can’t. You tell me!
Once again I used what I had in the house as part of my budget friendly meals and came out with something tasty. That’s why there’s a mix of different cocoa powders – I used up the last of both! I’ll have an update on the food budget tomorrow.
Pomegranate and Almond Butter Deep Dark Chocolate Brownie
Makes 9 brownies
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup natural cane sugar
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (half dutched cocoa and half dark chocolate)
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pasty flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees. Coat an 8 x 8 glass dish with olive oil spray.
- In a mixing bowl, or bowl with a hand mixer combine the egg, sugar, almond butter, oil and extracts. Mix for 3-4 minutes until well combined.
- In another bowl combine the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Pour into the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in the pomegranate seeds.
- Press the brownie mixture into the dish. The mixture will be very, very thick. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing.