Catching up? Here’s what you may have missed…
thai peanut chicken wrap
my pregnancy recap: week 27
all about the boobs, by bullets
Now onto the new!
Yesterday I did a bit of baking. Always a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Jacob has requested that we have more snacky foods on hand, and while I’m not going to give into his Costco muffin desires, instead I’ll bake up my own muffins.
In my opinion they’re waaaaayyyyyy tastier too.
Recently I was in the process of reorganizing my spices, and noticed I was out of poppyseeds. When did that happen?! Immediately I knew I needed to pick up some more and bake muffins.
Lemon + poppyseed go so well together so throwing them into a soft gluten free muffin was a no brainer.
Jacob and I don’t eat a gluten free diet, but if we did need to, I think we’d be fine. As long as we had these muffins on hand. The combo of oat flour, brown rice flour and coconut flour is AMAZING. If you haven’t tried this blueberry vanilla crumb cake, or these mini strawberry muffins with cinnamon streusel topping, or even these blackberry lemon cake donuts… well you’re missing out. All gluten free and loved by all.
For this recipe I basically doubled the donut recipe and changed a few things. No blackberries, yes poppyseeds. If you made these in regular muffins pans I bet you’d end up with about 10-12 muffins. But I went big here. Still, they aren’t as big as those costco muffins. Those are seriously gigantic.
Light with a cake like crumble, these muffins really hit the spot. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
Makes 6 over sized muffins
adapted from Blackberry Lemon Cake Donuts
- 1 cup oat flour [ground in a blender from oat groats or steel cut oats]
- 1 + 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 6 tbsp canola oil
- 2/3 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp poppy seed
- 4 large eggs
- 6 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup milk (of choice)
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees + grease your over sized muffin pan.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the oat flour, brown rice flour, coconut flour, sugar, salt, baking powder + poppyseed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla extract, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest + applesauce.
- Stir wet into dry, until combined. Do not over stir. It will look slightly lumpy.
- With a spoon, transfer the batter to your greased muffin pan leaving a little room at the top.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes.
- Test with a toothpick for doneness. You want a slightly moist toothpick. Not gooey but not bone dry. The tops of the muffins should spring back when you press it lightly.
- Let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack.
Next time I’ll have to make smaller muffins… it’s hard to stop at half a muffin!
Have you tried your hand at gluten free muffin making before? Do you have a favorite flour combo?