Make your own pancake mix with this buckwheat oat pancake mix! Just grind, measure and mix, and you are on your way to nutritious pancakes any morning of the week. Naturally gluten free and made higher in protein with eggs and yogurt!
If you are a fan of the simplicity of boxed pancake mix, but just don’t like to buy it (like me!) I have a solution for you. Make your own! I love prepping a bunch of pancake mix ahead of time so that all I have to do it add the wet ingredients to the dry and boom breakfast is on the way.
From there, I customize the pancake base to my liking. Sometimes I add shredded carrot and extra spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and all spice) for a carrot cake flavor. Shredded zucchini is another favorite to add in. Another standard is placing frozen (or fresh) berries on the pancakes as they cook. Really, you can add whatever floats your boat here!
The base of this buckwheat oat pancake mix is, you guessed it, buckwheat and oats! You grind your own flour, which is super simple in a blender. I typically use my magic bullet for grinding grains into flour, but I have also used my ninja blender with success as well. The magic bullet is just faster to clean after so I tend to stick with that one.
When making buckwheat flour look for RAW buckwheat groats – not toasted buckwheat. Buckwheat flour is also typically toasted so I really recommend grinding your own for the lighter flavor profile. You can use any oats here to grind into a flour. I usually have rolled oatmeal on hand and use that. Both are naturally gluten free. Just look out that your oats that they say gluten free if you’re needing that, since oats are typically contaminated with gluten in the processing facility.
Grind, measure and mix. Three steps to having your own amazing buckwheat oat pancake mix on hand to simplify your mornings! Enjoy the extra staying power with the addition of eggs and yogurt when you start cooking up your pancakes. They’ll be more filling, and help you stay fuller longer!
BUCKWHEAT OAT PANCAKE MIX (GLUTEN FREE + HIGHER PROTEIN PANCAKES)
Buckwheat Oat Pancake Mix (for 4 batches)
- 2 cups oat flour (ground from oats)
- 2 cups buckwheat flour (ground from buckwheat groats-NOT toasted buckwheat flour)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
Ingredients to make pancakes
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil or melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buckwheat oat pancake mix
Directions for pancake mix
- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl. Whisk to combine and store in a airtight container until you are ready to make pancakes.
Directions to make pancakes
- Heat an electric griddle or non-stick skillet to medium heat (or 350 on an electric griddle).
- Add your wet ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine. Add 1 cup pancake mix and stir until just combined. If adding the optional ingredients, stir in now.
- Add butter or coconut oil to your griddle or skillet and pour 1/4 cup of the batter for each pancake. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until little bubbles begin to show up on top, then flip. Cook another 2-3 minutes until done. Repeat with remaining batter.
Find more breakfast month recipes right HERE!
What are your go-to pancake mix-ins? Are you familiar with buckwheat groats or making your own flours? Happy breakfast eating friends!