I have been gone too long! Between all the holidays and being sick for much longer than I would have wished for, blogging took a back seat. Before getting too behind I wanted to share last week’s crockpot recipe. It was soooo good! So far my favorite. Not only was the pork amazing, but the creamy tomatillo dressing that went on top of the salad made the dish.
For Christmas I received these cool tortilla bowl makers. All you have to do is put the tortilla in the mold (you can see part of it in the picture below – upper left). The tortillas took about 8 minutes in the oven and I had perfect bowls for our tasty dinner. I added some shredded cheese to the bottom.
This was step 2.
Step 1: make the pork
Crockpot Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
Adapted from Chef in Training
- 2 pounds pork roast
- 1 can cola (NOT diet)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
- Put the pork in a reclosable bag to marinate, pour in half of the can of cola and ½ cup brown sugar. Marinate for a few hours.
- Drain marinade and put pork, ½ can of cola, water, can of chiles, enchilada sauce and garlic salt in crock pot on low for about 7-8 hours.
- Shred pork. Serve in fun tortilla salad bowls!
Step 3: make the dressing
Creamy Tomatillo Dressing
Adapted from here
- 1 packet of ranch dressing
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tomatillos husked and diced
- Garlic powder (just a few shakes)
- juice from 1 limeDirections
- Put ranch dressing, mayo and buttermilk in a blender and blend until combined. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Keep in sealed container in the fridge.
**I actually halved my batch and it still made a good amount.
Step 4: assemble everything. Here’s what went into our tortilla bowls:
- refried beans
- romaine lettuce
- tomato and avocado
- tomatillo dressing
I need to star this recipe. It was that good! My pork likely didn’t turn out as sweet as the original recipe since I cut out a lot of the cola and brown sugar, but since my version was amazing, I think I’ll be sticking with it. Plus the actual process had less steps. Always a bonus is my book.
Crockpot recipe for week 4: Cafe Rio Chicken
Today was my first day back to teaching/exercising after almost 2 weeks off (being sick kicked my butt :(). I’m excited to get back into the swing of things and into a routine again.
How was your Monday? Hope it went well!