Get ready for a new freezer staple in your house! These freezer ready sausage, egg and veggie breakfast burritos are delicious and simple to prep ahead in bulk!
Freezer meals to prep before baby
When I originally started making these freezer ready sausage, egg and veggie breakfast burritos, I had baby on my mind.
I wanted a breakfast that I could easily grab and warm when I’m just wanting to snuggle our new baby girl. When new baby arrives snuggles > cooking, always.
And no doubt, these breakfast burritos will be perfect for that. I’m planning to serve them up with some fresh fruit.
Family approved breakfast burritos
I was surprised to find out how much my husband LOVED them for everyday eating. He’s home a ton more throughout the day since he mostly works from home, and he really appreciated the simplicity and delicious flavors of these freezer ready sausage, egg and veggie breakfast burritos.
He adds a heavy amount of cholula and devours them. Now instead of just making them to have on hand for when baby girl arrives, they are an all-the-time staple. I prepped a double batch for the freezer during my Sunday meal prep this week!
Customize your breakfast burrito filling
The great thing about these breakfast burritos is the flexibility. Use whatever sausage (or bacon!) you like, along with your favorite vegetables. I think a bacon, spinach and egg combo would be fantastic as well. Whatever floats your boat, as long as you get some in the freezer!
How to make freezer ready breakfast burritos
- Prepare your filling ingredients – you want them fully cooked so assembly is a breeze.
- Lay out your tortillas on parchment paper. Add the filling. Roll the burritos, wrap the parchment paper around and tie off with a rubber band or string.
- Place in a freezer bag, label and date and freeze for up to 6 months.
How to defrost frozen breakfast burritos
When it’s time to pull your burrito out of the freezer, defrosting and warming couldn’t be easier.
- Simply remove a burrito from the parchment paper and place on a plate edge side down.
- Microwave on high heat for 1.5-2 minutes, or until the center is hot. Alternatively, you can reheat in the oven until warmed through.
Freezer Ready Sausage, Egg and Veggie Breakfast Burritos
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter dividd
- 1/2 tsp sea salt divided
- 1/4 tsp pepper divided
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 6 large tortillas (whole wheat or your favorite variety)
- Prepare your filling ingredients by sauting the breakfast sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Break the sausage into little pieces as you cook. Drain and set aside to cool when done.
- To the same skillet you cooked the sausage in, add 1/2 tbsp butter. When melted, add the eggs, 1/4 tsp sea salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Scramble the eggs, continuously stirring until the eggs are set. Set aside to cool when done.
- Wipe the pan clean, then add the remaining 1/2 tbsp butter. When melted, add the bell pepper, onion, 1/4 tsp sea salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Saute for 7-10 minutes, until the onion and bell pepper are soft. Set aside.
- To assemble: Lay 6 large piece of parchment paper out. Place 1 tortilla on each. Evenly distribute the sausage, scrambled eggs and bell peppers/onions onto the center of each tortilla, in a log like shape. To roll, fold in the short edges, then fold over one side and roll to the other. Roll your parchment paper around the burrito and wrap a rubber band around it to stay in place. Add all the wrapped burritos into a freezer bag, label, date and place in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- To eat: remove a burrito from the parchment paper and place on a plate edge side down. Microwave on high heat for 1.5-2 minutes, or until the center is hot. Alternatively, you can reheat in the oven until warmed through.
Did you like this recipe? Here are more breakfast recipes you might enjoy:
- Easy freezer protein waffles, gluten free and made in the blender
- Chocolate peanut butter buckwheat granola
- Peanut butter banana raisin breakfast cookies
- Smoked salmon and cauliflower egg puff
- Zucchini bread baked oatmeal
Do you have a staple breakfast (or anytime food) you prep specifically for your freezer? What is your favorite breakfast burrito combo?
*Originally published in March 2018. Updated January 2020.*