Taco tortilla pie is one of my favorite ways to transform leftover taco meat and tortillas into something new. Mix up your typical breakfast with this taco tortilla pie!
We’re in an exciting week. I am officially due with baby #4 TOMORROW! As I type this up, I really don’t think she’ll be arriving then. I still feel great, although more tired for sure. I’m happy to keep this little baby in my belly as long as she needs. With that said, we are excited to meet her. So so soooooooon! I’ll be popping in and breaking up breakfast month to share when she arrives friends. Now, onto the food!
After taco Tuesday, it’s almost inevitable that we’ll have leftover taco meat in our house. Don’t get me wrong, that is never a bad thing! I love re-purposing leftovers and creating new dishes with them. It’s a simple time saver! One of my favorite uses for extra taco meat (other than taco salad) and corn tortillas is a taco pie! Think of it as a quiche with lots of great additions.
Taco tortilla pie
In this taco tortilla pie I add leftover taco meat (or you can totally make it fresh), vegetables and tortillas. It is then covered it with an egg mixture, bakes up and the flavors meld together perfectly. All you need next are your favorite taco toppings and breakfast is a go! So easy!
Tip: Make this for any meal – not just breakfast! It’s great for lunch or dinner as well. Bonus, it can easily be prepped a few days ahead of time and baked when you’re ready.
Taco Tortilla Pie
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 cup bell pepper (any color) diced
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1 cup cooked ground beef (if using leftover taco meat then omit the next 6 ingredients)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper divided
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk (any plain variety)
- 6 tortillas cut into 1/4ths
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a pie dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the avocado oil. Add the bell pepper and onion, and saute for 7-10 minutes until soft. Add the cooked ground beef (or taco meat without the extra spices), cumin, oregano, garlic granules, chili powder, 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and tomato paste. Stir and warm. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk with milk, 1/4 tsp sea salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- To assemble: Add 2 tbsp egg mixture to bottom of dish. Layer 1/3 of the tortillas, 1/2 of the meat/vegetable mixture and 1/3 of the egg mixture. Again, layer another 1/3 of the tortillas, the remaining meat/vegetable mixture and 1/3 of the egg mixture. To finish, layer the remaining 1/3 of the tortillas and the rest of the egg mixture, making sure all the tortillas are covered with the egg mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes until a knife comes out clean and the eggs are set. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before eating.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings (sour cream, guacamole, pic de gallo, tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro etc.)!
Find more breakfast month recipes right HERE!
Have you ever experienced the goodness of a tortilla pie? What’s your favorite way to use up left over taco meat?