First day back to work and I was thinking it was Monday. Lucky me, it’s already Tuesday. :). Hope you had a wonderful long weekend and are settling back into your routine nicely. I made it to a noon cycle class, then processed to watch 2 movies after it on the couch. I was quite the lazy girl!
I’ve decided it’s time to cut back on the sweet making for a bit, just a little bit. Our house is still filled with chocolate and goodies, even ice cream I bought on an impulse while shopping hungry (whoops!).
Instead of sweets, I’ll carry on with my salad series. Today’s salad isn’t your traditional salad either. Nope. No lettuce base and it’s not chilled either.
Brussel sprouts and kale are cooked together with a touch of bacon, then finishes with a sprinkle of walnuts. You could call this a side if you want to, but top it with a warm piece of fish or chicken and I see a delicious plate full of salad.
I highly recommend making extra because the leftovers are delicious. Especially if you turn them into a frittata with some eggs + parmesan then topped with ketchup. Just sayin… it is good.
Warm Brussel Sprout and Kale Salad
- 1 slice peppered bacon, finely diced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cups brussel sprouts, end removed
- 5-6 kale leaves, stalks removed
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup walnuts
- Add the bacon to a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat until crispy.
- While the bacon cooks, add the brussel sprouts and kale to a food processor. Pulse until almost finely chopped. There should be no huge chunks remaining.
- Once the bacon is cooked, add in the onion, brussel sprouts and kale. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until softened. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Pour into a serving platter and top with the walnuts (preferably toasted).
Do you make warm salads often? What’s your favorite?
Previous 7 healthy salads to end (or start!) the year with (click on the picture to go to the recipe)
Like what you read? Subscribe to the feed or by email to be the first with your hands on new healthy, budget friendly, recipes, pregnancy updates, kitchen how-to’s, hikes, fitness tips and home workouts with some life and home balance thrown in there.
Leave a comment below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to connect, ask any questions or share your thoughts.