Over a year ago I made this awesome spinach, artichoke and cream cheese layered tortilla pie. I think I made it again sometime after that, but I know it’s been a really long time. The layered tortilla pie idea seemed so simple and easy to me that I just had to recreate it in a new and different way.
And what goes better with tortillas than mexican flavors?
We always have leftover taco meat and refried beans after taco/burrito night. It never goes to waste. We’ll eat it up in omelets or taco salad a lot of the time. This time though, I created something fun to chow down on.
See all those yummy layers? Every piece of tortilla has a little refried beans spread on it. It takes an extra minute of prep time, but it’s so worth it.
Never let those leftovers to go waste again. Just see how easy it is to create a new meal with them!
Chipotle Taco Tortilla Pie
Makes 1 pie
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup (leftover) taco meat
- 1 cup (leftover) refried beans
- 2 tbsp chipotle in adobe sauce, minced
- 6-7 corn tortillas, cut into 4ths
- 1.5 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, pepper, sea salt, chipotle and green onion.
- Coat a pie dish with olive oil spray. Pour in 2-3 tbsp of the egg mixture to coat the bottom. As you layer on a 1/3 of the tortillas, spread about 1 tbsp refried beans on them. Next add a 1/3 of the taco meat, and a 1/4 of the cheese. Pour on about a 1/4 of the egg mixture then add 2 more layers the same way, adding the egg mixture between each. When you get to the last layer you will have more egg mixture left over. Pour the rest on top. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes uncovered, until a knife comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before eating.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings (sour cream, guac, etc.).
Tip! After you open up a can of chipotle in adobe sauce, freeze individual 1 or 2 tbsp packets of them, that way you always have a little bit on hand whenever you need it.
I finally made it to the grocery store (3 stops) this morning. Tomorrow I’ll share how that went.
What do you like to do with your taco leftovers?