Breakfast bites full of vegetables and a healthy dose of protein. Start your morning right with these lightened up spinach, artichoke and bacon egg muffins!
These lightened up spinach, artichoke and bacon egg muffins became a thing out of necessity. And also because I just love the spinach artichoke combo!
The necessity came when I noticed quite a few egg whites waiting to be used in the fridge. You guys, I am completely obsessed with making my own homemade avocado oil mayonnaise (nourished kitchen has THE recipe for homemade avocado oil mayo). I make it at least weekly, and every time I am left with 3 egg whites. Usually I remember to add it in when I make custard oats, or I’ll add it to an egg scrambles. However, that particular week, I just kept forgetting. And forgetting.
When the stored up egg whites got to 9, it felt like way too many and I needed to do something with them ASAP! I went to the fridge and freezer and came up with these lightened up spinach, artichoke and bacon egg muffins. Spinach and artichoke is such a delicious combo (dontcha think?), and adding bacon in… well that just takes them over the top! I went super light on the cheese, but if you wanted them more cheesy, you could totally add in some mozzarella cheese as well. You know that would be delicious!
I love having egg muffins on hand for a quick snack or breakfast addition paired with fruit or avocado toast. My kids love egg muffins because they can hold them in their hand, and even help me make them easily! For fun, check out my live facebook video of the kids and I making our favorite 3 ingredient egg muffins! Those kids are always entertaining.
If you have no extra egg whites on hand, no worries! You can easily make these with whole eggs, just use a total of 8 eggs. I hope your family enjoys these bad boys as much as we do!
LIGHTENED UP SPINACH, ARTICHOKE AND BACON EGG MUFFINS
- 9 egg whites
- 4 whole eggs
- 1.5 cups frozen chopped spinach (measured pre-thaw) – defrost then squeeze excess liquid out
- 2 tbsp green onion diced
- 1/4 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts chopped
- 4 pieces of bacon cooked and diced
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 12 muffin pan.
- In a bowl add the egg whites and whole eggs. Give it a quick stir to break the egg yolks. Add the spinach, green onion, milk, artichoke hearts, 3/4 of the diced bacon, parmesan, sea salt and pepper. Stir to fully combine.
- Divide equally into 12 muffin tins. Sprinkle remaining bacon pieces on top. Bake for 20 minutes. The eggs will be set and puffed up when you remove the egg muffins from the oven.
Pin the image below to save for later!
What is your favorite way to enjoy the spinach artichoke flavors? Dip? Casserole? Pizza? Egg muffins…? I’d love to know!