Steak tips, vegetable and potato hash – your new go-to egg free breakfast! If you’ve been I love this hash because it’s a great use of leftover steak, is loaded with tons of healthy vegetables and is easy to make! Make for breakfast, lunch or dinner – you’ll love it any time the day!
Potato hash with vegetables for breakfast
I’m a big fan of vegetables for breakfast. Why not front load your veggies? I like em I’m my pancakes (like these banana zucchini buckwheat pancakes), but I also like the to be the star of the show!
In this breakfast hash we use bell peppers, onions and potatoes. Mix and match the vegetables you have on hand. The more vegetables the better – in my opinion. 😉
If you’ve been looking for a recipe for leftover steak and potatoes – this is the one to try.
Potato hash wins!
A breakfast potato hash is such a classic dish, right? I’m a big fan of potatoes (I’m sharing some of my favorites below for you!).
It’s a classic for good reason. Potatoes are a great gluten free carbohydrate option, and they’re a canvas ready to paint flavors onto! Flavor your potato hash up how you’d like, or follow my recipe below for guidance.
More potato recipes
- Pineapple pork and potato sheet pan dinner
- Smoked salmon, spinach, feta and potato breakfast casserole
- Sausage, kale and potato breakfast casserole
- Crispy potato bites
- Old bay potato wedges
Egg free breakfast
Eggs are definitely a breakfast favorite of mine, but I know some people a) can’t have eggs, or b) are ready for something else.
Using steak as our protein option gives us a balanced breakfast and makes this an egg free breakfast.
What makes up a balanced breakfast?
Let’s take a second to talk about what makes up a balanced breakfast. At meals, I like to focus on the 4 components – a protein source, a carbohydrate source, a fat source, and a vegetable source.
The 3 macronutrients (protein, carbs and fat) help my energy to stay even and my satiety (fullness) to last. If I’m skipping out on protein or fat, I feel hungry a lot sooner than I want to.
Vegetables are just an added bonus! Add more vitamins and minerals in, in such an easy way.
Balanced breakfast ingredients
Let me break down this particular balanced breakfast a little more.
- Protein: steak
- Carbohydrate: potatoes
- Fat: avocado oil
- Vegetable: bell peppers and onion
Boom – balanced breakfast perfection!
What are steak tips?
So, you may be asking yourself… what are steak tips? Steak tips are often tenderloin tips or sirloin tips.. but I like to use leftover steak in this recipe. I had leftover flank steak which was perfect. Other options would be hanger steak, sirloin steak or hanger steak.
How to make my steak tips, vegetable and potato hash
- Prep your ingredients by dicing the potatoes, bell peppers, red onion and cooked steak.
- Cook the potatoes in a cast iron skillet.
- Add the veggies and cook until soft.
- Toss in the steak tips and breakfast is ready!
Steak Tips, Vegetable and Potato Hash
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, then potatoes. Saute for 8-10 minutes, stirring every few minutes to cook evenly.
- Once the potatoes have softened slightly, add the bell peppers and red onion. Add a pinch of sea salt to season. Saute for 5-7 minutes, until the bell peppers and onions are softened and begin to get some brown on the edges.
- Add the diced steak to warm. Season with sea salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
If you try this recipe, I’d love it if you left a star rating and comment below letting me know how they turned out!