Home | a day in the life with a 3 month old

a day in the life with a 3 month old

by Heather

My day typically starts before Hunter wakes for the day. Typically.  Although my alarm was set for 6am, I snoozed until 6:45am. Some days I’m just super tired.  6:45am was the latest I could manage sleeping till leaving me enough time to make coffee + Jacob’s food for the day before he had to head out the door. I sipped a cup of coffee then hopped in the shower. When I got out, Hunter was awake and crying.

7:30am Hunter and I head upstairs and I feed him.


Then he’s one happy kid.

Hunter goes into the bouncy chair while I start on my breakfast and grab another cup of coffee. Don’t want to waste it. 🙂


Once my pancake is cooking we head downstairs for a diaper change and to get dressed for the day.

Back upstairs, he goes on the play mat while I finish up my breakfast.


It’s ready!  Egg, banana and corn flour pancake topped with peanut butter and poppyseed. I was out of oats (for my typical pancake), but the corn flour tasted surprisingly well! Breakfast with Hunter while he plays.


At 8:35am he’s starting to acts a little sleepy (rubbing his eyes and making some whiney noises) so I give him his paci and blanket, and moved him to a fuzzy blanket on the couch. I turn on the lullabye music and hope he falls asleep quickly. Normally he doesn’t nap that soon after waking but we were going to the library reading a little later so a quick nap was necessary.

After a couple times of putting the paci back in, he fell asleep at 9am. I was blow drying my hair so he must have pulled the paci out again and still managed to fall asleep without crying.


That gave me 20 minutes to get ready before we needed to leave. Non workout clothes (not like me), make up and hair done! 🙂


At 9:20am I slipped Hunter into his car seat (he even stayed asleep!) and we left for the library. We got there basically at 9:30 when story time was starting. Megan and Mabel were there too. I totally forgot to get pictures of Hunter and Mabel together. We sang, listened to books being read, bounced our babies, played with scarves, popped bubbles and did a little playing with toys/books at the end.


When story time was over at 10:15 I fed him in a chair at the library. He was starting to get a little fussy during story time with his nap being cut short earlier, so feeding was kind of a fussy time too. But, we did it. He seemed much happier after. Diaper change then we went and grabbed some books. Two for Hunter, three for me.


I’m excited to read Carrots ‘N’ Cake!

After the library we picked up a loaf of bread at Oroweat (for just 1 buck!), then spent a WIC check at Freddies. Hunter was so sleepy at the grocery store. This was right before he fell asleep.


Kinda looks a little mad.

Then he was out.


Once we got home I hoped he would continue sleeping since he hadn’t got any good rest yet. I laid him on the fuzzy blanket with paci and blanket, but it didn’t work this time. He was fighting sleep, crying, and then something happened that made him really upset. He pooped for the first time that day! It was soooooo much later than normal.  He typically goes first thing in the morning, but not today. Maybe that’s why he was being fussy… a little plugged up? He got changed and was still tired so I tried getting him back to sleep on his own while I tried eating lunch.

That wasn’t happening. I swaddled and rocked him to sleep. After a good 10-15 minutes he was finally out for the count at 12:25pm.


While he napped I finished my lunch, made a bunch of phone calls and paid some bills. All fun stuff 🙂

An hour later at 1:25pm he woke up hungry. I fed him and this time he ate much better. He was calm and didn’t cry. It’s amazing what a good nap can do.

Once his belly was full we played a bit then it was bath time. This was definitely the funnest bath he’s had yet! Hunter likes baths, but now I think he loves them. I even threw a rubber ducky in with him.



Lately I’ve been kinda bad about getting his baths in on a regular schedule. I think it had been a week since he got one last. Luckily little babies don’t really get dirty. At least that’s my defense. 🙂

Quick PB and J for me, hands for Hunter.


At 3pm I needed to be at a new gym I’m going to be teaching at to do new hire paperwork, so 15 minutes before 3 we were on our way. He napped on the way there so he was all smiles when we arrived. Everyone thought Hunter was so cute. After about 30 minutes he got a little fussy so the paci came out. I bounced him on my knee and he fell asleep. I love how that works.

Back home at 4:15pm and it was time for him to eat again.

Daddy’s home too!


I finally got around to cleaning the kitchen while Hunter watched and bounced away. Right before that I had a snack of oatmeal with peanut butter to recharge my battery.


5:30pm Time to begin working on dinner. Super simple pizza on whole wheat dough (from the freezer), tomato sauce, sliced chorizo sausage and mozzarella. Served with a side salad and finished off with tons fresh plums from my parents house.


Hunter falls asleep on the couch at 6:15pm for 45 minutes.

At 7pm I feed him, change his diaper and get him into PJs before we head out for a short walk. Jacob and I should definitely do this more often. I love talking with the hubs. We get distracted a lot in the house, so walking and talking is just what we do. It’s my favorite.


8pm We’re back and watch some Pawn Stars on Netflix. Hunter’s kind of fussy, but not too bad.

At 9:05pm I begin to feed him since I’m getting super sleepy. By 9:30 he’s done eating, we go downstairs, I put him in bed unswaddled (our latest new development!) and be wakes (typical). This time he’s pretty calm so I just close the door and hope he puts himself to sleep.

Jacob and I get ready for bed and don’t hear anything from Hunter which means he went to sleep!

10pm lights out!

5:30am Hunter wakes us up crying. He’s ready for breakfast.  I feed him and change his diaper in between sides. Sometimes he’ll go back to sleep when he wakes up early like this. Today he was awake, so we got up and headed upstairs to get my breakfast + coffee going and make Jacob’s food for the day.

It’s still dark in the house while Hunter begins to play.


Time for the day to start all over again.



Past day in life posts:

Day in the life with a 1 month old

Day in the life with a 2 month old

You may also like


Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 19, 2012 - 8:17 am

How fun! He’s getting so big… I can hardly believe it!

Fit Mama September 20, 2012 - 5:43 am

He sure is, it’s crazy!

Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart September 19, 2012 - 8:18 am

love reading how your days are going! I just started writing down when he gets tired, hungry, etc.. hopefully we can have some sort of structure to our days…HA! Our days sound very similar! Hunter is such a cutie!

Fit Mama September 20, 2012 - 5:43 am

I wrote it all down for a week or so too. It totally helped me figure out what worked for my little man.

Erica September 19, 2012 - 8:33 am

Girlfriend! You are looking SO fabulous! And that little man of yours is looking more and more like you

Fit Mama September 20, 2012 - 5:41 am

Awwww thanks 🙂 And does he? I thought he looked more like Jacob.

purelytwins September 19, 2012 - 8:34 am

so cute! Hunter you are growing up so fast 🙂

Fit Mama September 20, 2012 - 5:39 am

I know he is!

Elaine September 23, 2012 - 9:13 pm

Hunter is so adorable.

a day in the life with 2 toddlers | Fit Mama Real Food February 10, 2016 - 7:38 am

[…] a day in the life with a 3 month old […]


Leave a Comment