Banish your sweet tooth with a naturally sweetened chocolate cherry spinach smoothie. Just 5 real food ingredients make up this nourishing delicious smoothie!
I am a huge fan of using fresh real food ingredients. Just take a peek over at my go-to green smoothie and you’ll see the use of fresh spinach in abundance. Sometimes though, that fresh spinach goes bad quicker than you might want, or you just don’t have any on hand. That’s when frozen chopped spinach comes into the mix!
Frozen spinach doesn’t carry as much volume as fresh spinach, but the nutritional powerhouse is just the same. It is one of my favorite ways to add greens that I can easily keep on hand without the worry of food waste.
Reduce food waste
And if we’re chatting food waste, let’s dive a little deeper into that. I just can’t stand when I waste food – it’s basically throwing money away, and if you listened to episode #17 of Fit Mama Real Food Radio, you know we spend quite a bit on food. The last thing I want to do is throw my money away, so instead, I focus on these 5 areas to cut down on my food waste.
- Eat leftovers as they are, or re-purpose them into something else. I love adding my extra protein into my meal sized lunch salad the next day.
- Freeze extras that I don’t want to eat as leftovers.
- Rotate older foods to the front of the fridge so they don’t get hidden and missed.
- Focus on buying more real food pantry and frozen items because they have a longer shelf life.
- Put my fresh meat into the freezer right away unless I plan to use it within the next 2 days of buying – I don’t want to forget about it or it go bad before I use it up!
How can THIS smoothie help you in reducing food waste? Let’s count the ways.
- Got a ripe banana that’s getting to that banana bread status? Make some healthy banana nut mini muffins or get them in THIS SMOOTHIE!
- Using canned coconut milk + cocoa powder + (optional) collagen peptides are just 3 easy to keep on hand pantry items. No waste!
- And lastly, more frozen goodness comes in the form of dark sweet cherries (plus that frozen spinach!). I love the frozen variety because I find them typically sweeter than what I can predict in fresh cherries, they are cheaper and I don’t have to worry about food waste. So many wins in this one little smoothie!
The flavors are so on point in this chocolate cherry spinach smoothie. You’re getting an awesome mix of carbohydrates, fat and protein to keep energy great too! I know you’re going to love it, so let’s get smoothie making!
Chocolate Cherry Spinach Smoothie
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1.5 cups frozen spinach
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups frozen cherries
- 2 scoops collagen peptides optional
- Add the coconut milk, frozen spinach and 1 cup of water to the blender. Blend for 30-60 seconds, until the spinach is fully combined with the liquid.
- Add the banana, cocoa powder and frozen cherries, along with optional collagen peptides. Blend for 1-2 minutes, scrapping down the sides as needed. You will end with a fluffy smooth smoothie.
- Top with unsweetened coconut flakes and extra dark sweet cherries!
How do you combat food waste? What are some of your favorite tips and tricks? What is your favorite smoothie combo?