Coconut curry chicken with udon noodles and broccoli will win your heart and taste buds over. With a creamy coconut curry sauce that is so easy to make, you’ll want to make this over and over again. Add this simple balanced meal to your dinner plan and get ready to have a happy, satisfied family!
Coconut curry chicken with udon noodles and broccoli
There are some flavor profiles I just love… like anything with peanut sauce is a win. Obviously. Coconut curry sauce is another one. There’s something about the refreshing coconut milk when it pairs with the curry spices that just work so perfectly.
I love that you can make curry hot, or keep it more mild (which is great when feeding little ones too). I tend to keep it milder for my own personal preference and also since I’m serving the dish to many little kiddos. The hubs usually adds some sriracha onto dishes that need a little extra heat for his liking. We can make it work for each of us!
What noodles should you use with curry?
I’ve made this dish many before. I served it with whole wheat egg noodles, udon noodles, rice noodles and brown rice egg noodles. All of them work!
The dish is super saucy so I love to serve it with noodles to soak up those flavors. The broccoli absorbs that flavors too and help to cool any heat too.
I love that the chicken is simmered into the coconut curry sauce. It keeps the chicken from drying out and absorbs so much flavor. I like chicken thighs for this dish, but have used breasts too. Both work!
Ingredients in curry powder
You could easily use a curry powder mix, but if you have these 4 ingredients on hand, you can easily make your own curry powder for this recipe! Here are the 4 curry powder ingredients:
- ground ginger
- turmeric powder
- chili powder
How to make coconut curry chicken
- Start by sautéing the green onion, then adding the curry spices plus garlic in.
- Next you add in the tomatoes, coconut milk, sea salt and pepper and chicken. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through. You can choose to thicken your sauce here with a little corn starch.
- Cook the udon noodles and steam the broccoli.
- Combine everything together and dinner is ready!
Coconut Curry Chicken with Udon Noodles and Broccoli
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup green onion diced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 13.5 oz full fat coconut milk
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ pepper
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless, skinless, and cubed
- 8 oz udon noodles
- 3 broccoli crowns chopped into pieces
- 1 tsp corn starch optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the green onions and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add in the cumin, ground ginger, turmeric, red chili powder and garlic. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes (drained), coconut milk, sea salt and pepper. Next stir in the chicken. Stir and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat down to low-medium and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken cooks, cook the udon noodles and broccoli. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the udon noodles and cook for 8-10 minutes, until the udon noodles for done. Udon noodles can be salty without a rinse, so I suggest rinsing them in water when done cooking. Steam the broccoli for 8-10 minutes as well.
- If you want to thicken your curry sauce a bit more, combine the cornstarch in a small bowl with 1 tbsp of cold water. When the cornstarch is dissolved into the water, pour into the sauce and continue to simmer for a few more minutes. This step is optional.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, add the cooked noodles and broccoli in to the coconut curry sauce and serve!
Do you like this recipe? Here are more to try:
- Crockpot coconut green curry basil chicken
- Cheesy curry chicken and rice casserole
- Curry chicken salad with grapes and celery
- Salad roll shrimp bowl with coconut rice and peanut dressing
Do you enjoy curry often in your house? If you try this recipe, please leave a rating and comment and share how it went!
*Originally published in November 2014. Updated January 2020.*
I want to come over for dinner! This looks to die for girl!
I’ve never had curry before in my life!!!!! I need to try this and I will sub in some spaghetti squash! YUM 🙂
I’m a huge curry fan and especially love it with coconut milk. This looks incredible! I’m pinning this and will try it soon! My husband is like yours and adds hot sauce to lots of things. He likes a lot more spice than me and definitely more than the kids who can’t even tolerate pepper. haha
O yum! Curries are the best! This is the perfect comforting warm dish too!
YUM! I’m with you: love peanut sauce and coconut curry sauces! This looks delicious.
[…] Lunch & Dinner […]
[…] Lunch & Dinner […]