Enjoy this crock pot coconut green curry basil chicken on your busiest of nights. The flavors are finger licking good, and the chicken as tender as can be. Your family will keep coming back for more!
I don’t know what I would do without a crock pot in my life. Seriously, when life gets busy I totally rely on it.
And on a kind of, sort of, not really related note, I’ve been thinking about HOW CLOSE I am to this baby being born (I’m currently 9 weeks from my due date) and I am 100% feeling unprepared.
You’d think with it being my fourth baby and all that I’d just roll with it, and when it comes to labor and delivery I totally feel that way. Gosh I love birth and having babies, but I feel sooooo unprepared at home. I need to get all the baby clothes organized again. I need to register with the hospital. We need to get Zoe’s room ready for Nova to share with her and swap cribs around.
Man, I think a get-baby-ready-workday is in order. So many things!
We will get there, and all will be good, I know it. Things always eventually get done in my professional procrastinating way.
crock pot coconut green curry basil chicken – a freezer friendly meal
The other area I’ve been thinking about being prepared for is food. I’m planning to make freezer meals ahead of time, and also have all my meal planning and prep work lined so my brain can basically can shut off for a short while. I want to keep things EASY when I’ve got a new baby to snuggle.
This crock pot coconut green curry basil chicken is one that I can prepare ahead of the time as a freezer meal and just pull it out the night before to thaw, throw it in the crock pot with a can of coconut milk and call it good. And since I know our family loooooves this chicken, I’m likely going to prep 3-4 meals of this.
Whether you’re prepping and starting this dinner the morning of, or you made it ahead of time and pulled it out of the freezer, I think you’re going to love the flavors of subtle green curry with creamy coconut milk. Green curry is a more mild curry which I find the kids like, compared to a more strong red curry. I’ve always used the Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste which is easy to find in grocery stores. If you have another favorite, use that for sure!
Crock Pot Coconut Green Curry Basil Chicken
- 2 lb chicken thigh (8 pieces)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 of a jalapeño minced (add more for extra heat)
- 2 tbsp green curry paste
- 1.5 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- optional: 2 tbsp corn starch + 2 tbsp cold water
- optional: serve with minced cilantro or fresh basil
- Combine and stir all the ingredients (except the optional ingredients) into the crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours the chicken will fall apart. You can serve as is, or if you would like your sauce thickened up, remove the chicken from the crock pot and place on a plate covered to keep warm. Dissolve the cornstarch into the water. Stir into the crock pot with the liquids and turn to high for 30 minutes.
- Once the sauce thickens slightly, return the chicken to the crock pot. Serve with rice and steamed broccoli!
Freezer prep instructions
- Label a 1-gallon freezer bag with the date you prepared it, name of the recipe and cooking instructions (crock pot on low for 8 hours with 1 can coconut milk).
- Add all the ingredients into the bag except for the coconut milk and optional items. Remove as much air as possible as you close the bag. Lay flat in the freezer to freeze.
- The night before, take the bag out of the freezer and place it in the fridge to thaw. In the morning add the contents to the crock pot along with 1 can of coconut milk. Follow the instructions from step 2 forward from above.
I think I ask this every time I have a baby, but what are some of your go-to freezer meals? Are you a curry fan? Do you like green, red or yellow curry the best?