4 ingredient tuna cakes + vote for Hunter
Whether you work full time, have a new baby (like me!), or maybe even both, quick meals definitely come in handy. Not only do keeping the number of ingredients down to a minimum help with prep time, they save you money too! Less ingredients = less money to spend right?
We’ve been watching our budget again. Yes, again. We seems to go through spurts where we save-save-save, which leaves a little more wiggle room in the bank account, then we go a little crazy spending too much on clothes or stuff for the house. A bad cycle to get into. However, when we do go a little crazy spending, it tends to revamp our mind set to save. I think we end up winning in the end… we’ll say we do.
Back to the food! I originally made these tuna cakes with the sole purpose to use my mango salsa on top of them. I really just wanted to eat that salsa but not so much by the spoonful. I wasn’t that worries about how they’d turn out as long as they tasted okay… and I had my salsa.
Not only were they delicious with the salsa, they were great on their own! I’ve made them a lot of times now. Sometimes I top with avocado, sometimes with cheese, I’ve eaten them alone, but my favorite is of course, with mango salsa.
4 Ingredient Tuna Cakes
- 1 can (7 ounces) tuna in water, drained
- 2 eggs
- 1/4-1/3 cup chickpea flour * (depending on how much liquid is left in the tuna)
- 2 tsp old bay seasoning
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl with a fork. It shouldn’t be too wet or too dry.
- Heat a skillet (cast iron preferred) over medium-high heat and coat with oil.
- Place 4 even patties in the pan. Cook on one side for 3-4 minutes, then flip. Allow the second side to cook another 3 minutes. Both sides should be golden brown.Top with favorite toppings!
* I’ve only used chickpea flour in these because I really like the texture and flavor, but if you don’t have it on hand I’d suggest oat flour (ground rolled oats) or breadcrumbs.
What would you put on your tuna cakes? Do you tend to cook with a few or lots of ingredients?
On a totally different note, I entered Hunter’s picture into a contest at local radio station for Portland’s Cutest Baby.
I’d love your vote! Follow the link to vote for my cutie: vote for Hunter!