Snack balls are one of my favorite treats to make with my kids! These 4 ingredient chocolate peanut butter snack balls are naturally sweetened with dates, and taste like such a treat!
Have you ever eaten a food that transformed the way you view it? For me, it was these chocolate peanut butter snack balls.
Years back, like way back (8…9 years?) Jacob and I were at a bible study and a few of the people there had given up (added) sugar for lent. But they still brought a treat. I was shocked. SHOCKED by how good they were without any added sugar! It was my first bite in a date sweetened snack ball and I was hooked.
Now obviously dates have sugar in them, but unlike white table sugar, it is unrefined and nature made. Which I love! Nature makes the best food, dontcha think?
So after I first tried those magical chocolate peanut butter snack balls, years went by before I made any. But I never forgot about them. Over the years I’ve rolled out hundreds of snack balls, from simple date and nut balls, to carrot cake balls and even chickpea protein balls! They’re SO kid friendly to eat AND make together!
I love my little 2 year old with her cute squishy hands rolling out some tasty (totally not round) snack balls.
Let’s talk for a second about how kids can help you make these, because snack balls are one of my favorite ways to include kids in the kitchen.
- Pushing the buttons on the food processor
- Measuring and pouring ingredients
- Rolling balls
- Taste testing!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Balls
- 3 cups pitted dates (soak in water for 1 hour ahead of time if your dates seem dry)
- 2.5 cups dry roasted peanuts
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 2-4 tbsp water
- In a food processor, add the dates and pulse until the dates are broken into pieces and beginning to turn into a paste. You may need to scrape down the sides a few times if the dates get stuck on the blades.
- Add the peanuts and pulse until the peanuts are broken down into small bits.
- Add the cocoa powder, vanilla extract and a pinch of sea salt and pulse until combined.
- Add 2 tbsp water and continue to pulse until the mixtures starts to come together. Add up to 2 tbsp more of water.
- Remove from the food processor base and begin to roll snack balls out by the heaping 2 tablespoonfuls. Store in the fridge in a sealed container.
Pin this image to save for later!
When was the first time you tried a snack ball? Was it as monumental of a moment as it was for me?
PS: Want more ideas on how to bring kids into the kitchen? Check out episode 33 of Fit Mama Real Food Radio for more!
[…] prep-ahead snack: try these 4 Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Balls! They’re naturally sweetened and […]
[…] of baked goods – they get energy from the dates and staying power from the nuts (try this chocolate peanut butter snack ball […]
[…] Plain whole milk yogurt with strawberry rhubarb jam, banana egg oat pancakes (leftover), baby carrots with hummus, strawberries and chocolate peanut butter snack bar. […]
[…] chocolate peanut butter snack balls […]
[…] Chocolate peanut butter snack balls […]