Meal prep these lamb meatball bowls and you’ll have healthy lunches ready to go for the entire week! Lamb meatballs, roasted sweet potatoes, greens and a tangy avocado cilantro sauce are the perfect combo for a balance, healthy meal. Bonus, it’s delicious and perfect to prep in advance!
My husband knows me so well. If we’re out to dinner, and I see lamb on the menu, there is a 99% chance I am ordering it.
Growing up I lived in Holland for a few years. One of my favorite restaurants we visited was on a massive boat (tied to a dock), and they served all sorts of meats table side. They’d come around with huge skewers of barbequed meats and you’d get your pick of whatever you wanted. I’m not sure if my love for lamb started there, but it definitely built a memory.
Fast forward many, many years, and lamb is still my favorite. Whenever I see grass fed lamb on sale I buy it up and serve my family lamb meatballs or lamb meatloaves. To my absolute joy, they love it too!
I love these lamb meatballs for many reasons. Obviously my love for the flavor of lamb is one, but these meatballs are special. They’re filled with finely grated zucchini and onion and it just melts right into them. The vegetables add moisture and tons of flavor too.
Combine the lamb meatballs with roasted sweet potatoes, greens and a tangy avocado cilantro sauce for a balance lunch or dinner!
I highly recommend prepping your meatballs and roasted sweet potatoes in advance for super simple + quick meals during your week. They keep well and make healthy eating a breeze!
Do you have the same love affair with lamb as I do? Give these lamb meatball bowls a try and you will!
Lamb Meatball Bowls with Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- 2 lb ground lamb
- 1.5 cups finely grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup grated onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 TBSP garlic granules
- 1 TBSP dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup kefir
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 8 cups spring greens
- 4 cups roasted sweet potato cubes
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the lamb, zucchini, onion, eggs, oat flour, garlic granules, dried oregano, sea salt and pepper until fully combined. Shape into small meatballs, about 2 tbsp mixture each. Place on rimmed baking sheet. You will end up with around 30 meatballs. You will likely need to use 2 rimmed baking sheets.
- Once all meatballs are shaped, bake for 18 minutes or until fully cooked through.
- While the meatballs are baking, make your avocado sauce. Add the avocado, lime juice, kefir, cilantro and a pinch of sea salt and pepper into a blender. Blend until combined. Add up to 1/4 cup water if needed to help with blending.
- To build your meal add 1 cup of greens to a bowl, 1/2 cup roasted sweet potatoes, 4-5 meatballs and a dollop of the tangy avocado cilantro sauce. ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @fitmamarealfood on Instagram and hashtag it #fitmamarealfood.
Tell me, do you love lamb like I do, or are you new to it? Leave a comment and rating below if you try this recipe!