Mini einkorn pizza bites with salami, pineapple and kale are a fun way to switch up your typical pizza night. Utilizing nature’s ancient grain, einkorn (the only wheat to not be hybridized), these pizza bites are made better for you too!
Did you grow up eating bagel bites as a kid? I can vividly recall at certain times we would have them in the house and it basically turned into a delicious after school party.
Long are my bagel bite days, and I am totally cool with that. Like, really cool with it. I love how real food makes me feel and would much rather make pizza bites at home and not feel super blah after eating them. That’s the beauty of knowing what goes into your food (along with WAY less ingredients).
Mini einkorn pizza bites
These mini einkorn pizza bites are topped simply with salami, pineapple, mozzarella, kale and green oinons after a touch of olive oil is spread on the little circles. They are extremely fun to make with your kids! I made the dough, then each of the kids took turns rolling out the dough and then used a wide mouth mason jar lid to cut circles out for the mini einkorn pizza bites!
A wide mouth mason jar was the perfect size – especially if you are sending them along in a lunchbox! I tested the wide mouth mason jar lid size and it works perfectly with the Lunchbots Bento Cinco. Bonus – you win as a mom by sending along mini pizza bite to school!
What is einkorn flour?
- Einkorn is the only wheat to have never been hybridized (unlike modern soft and durum wheat), and to have only 2 sets of chromosomes. This is real wheat, the way it was meant to be.
- Einkorn has 30% more protein and 30% less starch than regular wheat, plus abundant B Vitamins and trace minerals like Iron. Those extra nutrients translate directly to more energy and a greater feeling of wellness, not empty calories.
- The gluten in einkorn lacks the high molecular weight proteins that many people can’t digest. If you are sensitive to modern wheat, einkorn can provide a delicious alternative. Note that einkorn does contain gluten and is therefore not ok for those with Celiac Disease.
I absolutely love adding as much variety into my diet as possible, along with the diet of my kiddos. Switching up the types of flour that I use helps to keep things varied and tasty!
You can absolutely use whatever toppings you have on hand. Anytime we have an at home pizza making night I peek around in the fridge and veggie drawer and pull out whatever olds and ends need to be used up. But if you’re wondering about this salami, pineapple, kale and green onion combo – oh my it’s so good! Salami and pineapple pair so perfectly together, and I just love the slight crunch you get from the kale. It’s almost like kale chips on a pizza! Hunter omitted the green onion on his mini pizza bites, because surprisingly, onions (of all kinds) are the only food truly doesn’t like. But I love that he keeps on trying them whenever I ask him to!
Let’s make some mini einkorn pizza bites!
Mini Einkorn Pizza Bites with Salami, Pineapple and Kale
- 2 cups einkorn flour
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup whole milk plain kefir
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 oz salami diced
- 1 stem kale finely chopped after stem removal
- 2 green onions diced
- 4 oz mozzarellla shredded
- 1 cup pineapple diced
- In a medium bowl combine the einkorn flour, active dry yeast and sea salt. Add the extra virgin olive oil, kefir and warm water. Stir until the dough starts to turn into a rough ball. Kneed for 1 minute, round into a ball and place in an oil bowl and roll the ball around until it is coated with oil. Cover and allow the dough to sit for 1 hour in a warm spot.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up. After 1 hour, roll half of the dough out very thin on parchment paper. Cut circles using large mason jar lids. Remove extra dough and add to remaining half of dough. Repeat until all the dough has been used.
- To make the pizzas, brush extra virgin olive oil on the dough circles. Add salami, kale, pineapple, green onion and mozzarella.
- Bake (on parchment paper) for 7-9 minutes, or until the dough is cooked through, your cheese is melted and the edges are golden brown.
Pin the image to save for later!
Did you grow up on bagel bites? Are you new to einkorn flour? What kind of pizza toppings would you put on these mini einkorn pizza bites?