Blackberry season is here and there is no better way to celebrate this sweet and juicy fruit than in a pretty purple smoothie! This blackberry smoothie is not your average smoothie. We’re filling it up with fruit, veggies, protein, healthy fats, fiber and an amazing almond flavor you just can’t beat! Whether you’re using fresh blackberries, or frozen berries, this will become your new favorite purple smoothie.
Anatomy of a balanced smoothie
This smoothie hits it all: fruit, veggies, protein, healthy fats and fiber. Here’s how we’re hitting each category.
Fruit – blackberries and banana
Veggies – frozen cauliflower rice
Protein – collagen peptides
Healthy fats – almond butter
Fiber – chia seeds
Why add veggies into a smoothie?
You may notice a theme around here with smoothies. Lots of them are green because I love adding veggies into my smoothies!
I wanted to keep the pretty purple color here so I used frozen cauliflower rice. It’s such an easy addition into the smoothie because it’s basically flavorless. Since we aren’t adding ice into the smoothie, the frozen cauliflower rice becomes our ice!
Veggies are packed with vitamins and minerals, fiber rich and such an important part of the diet. I love adding them into smoothies as a super easy way to bump up the veggies that my kids and myself start our day with. This is a super kid friendly, veggie filled smoothie!
How to make a blackberry almond smoothie
- Gather all your ingredients + blender.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a high speed blender and blend for 30 seconds on high. Pour into a cup, and enjoy with a drizzle of almond butter, a sprinkle of chia seed and a side of more blackberries. YUM!
Blackberry almond smoothie
The almond flavor is amazing in this smoothie thanks to the touch of almond extract and almond butter. If almond extract isn’t your favorite, simply substitute in vanilla extract.
The beautiful thing is that you can customize based on what you have on hand! Use fresh or frozen fruits. Don’t have almond butter? Sub in peanut butter or your favorite nut/seed butter. The flavor combinations are endless.
Love veggies in your smoothies? Try these smoothies out as well!
- Veggie loaded green smoothie (spinach and cauliflower rice)
- Peanut butter chocolate avocado smoothie
- Chocolate cherry spinach smoothie
- Peanut butter banana spinach smoothie
- Almond pear green smoothie
Blackberry Almond Smoothie
- Combine all the ingredients together in a high speed blender and blend for 30 seconds on high. Top with a drizzle of almond butter and extra blackberries.
If you try this recipe please leave a rating and comment below so others can see how they turn out for you!
*Originally published in August 2011. Updated July 2020.*